The government have introduced a Plastic Packaging Tax that is coming into force in April 2022. The tax will apply to plastic packaging produced in, or imported into the UK, that contains less than 30% recycled plastic.
Plastic Packaging Tax Information
Plastic packaging with less than 30% recycled content will be taxed at £200/tonne and even if you’re not direct manufacturers the cost of the additional tax may be passed through the supply chain.
If the packaging has multi-material components and is predominantly made up of plastic it will be classed as plastic packaging and this is decided by weight, for example:
100g packaging = 40g not recycled plastic + 30g wood + 30g paper is classed as plastic packaging for the purpose of this tax.
Plastic Packaging Tax Exemptions
Producers and importers of small quantities of plastic packaging (under 10 tonnes in 12 months) will be exempt.
- Transport packaging is used when importing goods into the UK
- Plastic packaging used in aircraft, ships, or railway stores for international journeys
- Plastic packaging produced or imported for use in the immediate packaging of human medicine
- Components that are permanently designed or set aside for non-packaging use.
It’s a good idea to plan ahead for the future and understand the composition of the packaging that’s being used within your company and possibly look into reducing the unrecycled plastic content in it.
We recommend the recording of the webinar from HMRC that goes more into detail:
- To reduce the financial impact on their business and help the environment
- What are the exemptions
- When your client needs to register
- Who is liable to pay the tax
Government website information HERE
For help with your bookkeeping find your nearest Rosemary Bookkeeper HERE